1. Cohesive Leadership (5:16)
2. Introduction to The Five Behaviors of a Cohesive Team Model – Patrick Lencioni (3:53)
3. Team Exercise
Print out and take the following assessment: Congregational Leadership Team Assessment (pdf)
Share and compare your answers
Chapter 7 “Qualities of an Adaptive Organization” from The Practice of Adaptive Leadership: Tools and Tactics for Changing Your Organization and Your World by Ronald Heifetz, Alexander Grashow, Marty Linsky
7 Ways to Show Your Team You Trust Them by Karin Hurt
5. Questions for Discussion with your congregational team (or use the comments section below):
Here are some strategies for strengthening your leadership team. What other strategies might you suggest? (answer in the comments section below)
Behavior #1: Building Trust
- Identify and discuss individual strengths and challenges. Strategize how to play to each other’s strengths.
- Spend “face” time together working on shared goals & meaningful metrics.
Behavior #2: Mastering Conflict
- Develop a shared understanding of emotional systems (“Healthy Leadership”), leading change and conflict styles.
- Establish and live into a leadership covenant.
Behavior #3: Meeting Commitments
- Review commitments at the end of each meeting to ensure that all leaders have a shared understanding how the actions are aligned with the mission and of their individual responsibilities.
- Agree to “disagree in private” but be committed to being in alignment with the final decision of the team.
Behavior #4: Mutual Accountability
- Explicitly communicate expectations and levels of commitment
- Regularly assess the contributions of all of the leaders against shared goals & metrics.
Behavior #5: Focusing on Goals
- Leaders at all levels set and measure their contribution against annual goals and metrics.
- When goals are achieved, there is celebration by the whole congregation and leaders are honored for their work.
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.